Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe originates from the booklet that came with my Futura pressure cooker. I love substituted low sodium ingredients because I am watching my sodium intake. I hope you like this.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, soaked
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt (I used 1 1/2 Tbsp Mrs Dash Table blend)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- Divide meat into 2 batches. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in cooker for about 2 minutes. Brown and remove first batch. Add another 2 tablespoons oil to cooker. Brown and remover second batch.
- Add remaining oil (4 tablespoons) to cooker. Add onions and garlic. Stir fry til onions are light brown. Add meat and remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Close cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and chook for 18 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool naturally.
- Open cooker. Discard bay leaves. Serve hot.
Pretty excellent! I made a few changes: (1) Used half as much ground beef; 2.25 lbs is a lot of meat. (2) Used the entire bag of kidney beans, a full 2 cups instead of 1.5 cups. (3) For tomatoes I used 2 - 14.5 oz cans of Hunts petite diced. (4) Why just 1 Tbs of tomato paste? What do you do with the rest of the can. I just added the entire can. (5) Using Mrs Dash is a fine idea which I followed. A fun recipe...thank you!!!
I converted the recipe to real TEXAS chili. If you know beans about chili you know it aint got any. Beans are just filler to stretch how much is made.
I tweaked the recipe...I used a whole bag of soaked overnite pinto beans n one can of kidney beans drained n a can of chili beans undrained to 3 lbs of meat...2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes...the whole can of tomato paste...I also used Mrs. Dash's seasoning to cut down on sodium...instead of water, I had some tomato juice that I had on hand n used that...n I had a cup of salsa in the fridge n tossed that in too. EXCELLENT RECIPE THANX FOR SHARING...ooops I've gotta go now...I'm heating some up for my supper n the microwave just dinged!