Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family loves this recipe because its delicious and I like it because its so easy to make. I asked several Mexican folks the best way to make authentic carnitas and got several different answers so based on what I was told I came up with this recipe. I used Salsa Verde because my wife likes green chilis. You can substitue Salsa Verde with other Chilis if you want. Just adapt it to your tastes.
- Stab the roast several times with knife and insert the garlic cloves into cuts so the garlic flavors the roast while cooking.
- Heat the cooker to medium high heat, add the 1 tbsp cooking oil and sear the roast on all sides, about 30 seconds a side.
- Pour the chili verde over the roast. Lift the roast a bit so some of the chili verde gets under it while cooking.
- Add the Jalepeno pepper (optional) or Chipotle pepper (optional) along with the quartered onion.
- Cook on high pressure for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and cool the cooker under cool water till the pressure is gone.
- With tongs, remove the roast to a large baking pan and shred with forks thoroughly.
- Pour whats left in the pressure cooker through a strainer and dump the contents of the strainer over the shredded meat evenly.
- You can save the liquid from the pressure cooker to flavor the meat later if you want.
- Spread out the shredded meat out evenly and broil it on the middle oven rack untill edges start to get a little crispy brown.
- Stir the meat around and heat again till edges get a little crispy brown.
- Careful not to dry it out too much. Remember, crispy an succulent.
- I find this is the best way to heat up corn tortillas:.
- Heat up a griddle to med high.
- Dip a corn tortilla in cold water and then place it on griddle till it gets a couple toasty brown spots. Flip the tortilla and remove after the other side gets toasty brown spots too, then remove and stack.
- Repeat till you have enough for everyone.
- Serve the Carnitas with the Beans to be eaten with the tortillas.
- You can also serve with rice and have some hot sauce or Pico de Gallo handy.