1 hr 15 mins
My family loves this recipe because its delicious and I like it because its so easy to make. I asked several Mexican folks the best way to make authentic carnitas and got several different answers so based on what I was told I came up with this recipe. I used Salsa Verde because my wife likes green chilis. You can substitue Salsa Verde with other Chilis if you want. Just adapt it to your tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stab the roast several times with knife and insert the garlic cloves into cuts so the garlic flavors the roast while cooking.
- 2Heat the cooker to medium high heat, add the 1 tbsp cooking oil and sear the roast on all sides, about 30 seconds a side.
- 3Pour the chili verde over the roast. Lift the roast a bit so some of the chili verde gets under it while cooking.
- 4Add the Jalepeno pepper (optional) or Chipotle pepper (optional) along with the quartered onion.
- 5Cook on high pressure for 1 hour.
- 6Remove from heat and cool the cooker under cool water till the pressure is gone.
- 7With tongs, remove the roast to a large baking pan and shred with forks thoroughly.
- 8Pour whats left in the pressure cooker through a strainer and dump the contents of the strainer over the shredded meat evenly.
- 9You can save the liquid from the pressure cooker to flavor the meat later if you want.
- 10Spread out the shredded meat out evenly and broil it on the middle oven rack untill edges start to get a little crispy brown.
- 11Stir the meat around and heat again till edges get a little crispy brown.
- 12Careful not to dry it out too much. Remember, crispy an succulent.
- 13I find this is the best way to heat up corn tortillas:.
- 14Heat up a griddle to med high.
- 15Dip a corn tortilla in cold water and then place it on griddle till it gets a couple toasty brown spots. Flip the tortilla and remove after the other side gets toasty brown spots too, then remove and stack.
- 16Repeat till you have enough for everyone.
- 17Serve the Carnitas with the Beans to be eaten with the tortillas.
- 18You can also serve with rice and have some hot sauce or Pico de Gallo handy.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pressure Cooker Carnitas Fast!
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1095.7
- Calories from Fat 483
- Total Fat 53.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 1212.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.7 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 56.9 g