1 hr 5 mins
I love carnitas and the pressure cooker really makes this a quick, done, deal with all the flavor still sealed in. I will never make it another way! Thanks to my friend Kerry T. for the recipe back in the day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Throw all ingredients into the pressure cooker, stir and set it on high (2 bars on mine).
- 2Make sure there is extra liquid, you don't want your cooker to dry out!
- 3Cook for 35-45 minutes depending on your cooker.
- 4Release steam according to your cooker's instructions.
- 5The meat should be falling apart by now, and there should be lots of liquid left.
- 6Drain and save the liquid, put the meat on a plate and shred it with two forks, or use a potato masher, the onion included.
- 7Place meat on a flat roasting pan and put it under the broiler in the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring often, and adding juice from the cooker to make sure it doesn't get too dry.
- 8It is done when it is a bit crispy, but not burned.
- 9Alternatively, after you shred the meat, you can heat oil in a large skillet and brown it, adding a bit of the meat juice after it is already well crispy.
- 10Serve with pico de gallo, tortillas, rice, and any fixin's you have on hand like guacamole, lettuce, cheese, etc.
- 12For spicier carnitas, blend 3/4 cup of juice from cooking with 4 chipotles en adobo, or a fresh habenero, serrano, or jalapeno. Pour this over the meat before you put it under the broiler.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pressure Cooker Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.5
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 88.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 22.4 g