Recipe by dojemi
Layering slices of mozzarella cheese on each piece of bread and layering peppers and spreads in the middle will help seal sandwiches once pressed.
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 (12 ounce) jarof roasted bell peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons tapenade or 2 tablespoons pesto sauce, store bought or homemade (more or less to your taste)
- coarse salt
- olive oil
- 8 slices sandwich bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly brush sandwich bread with olive oil.
- Top half the bread with half the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread tapanade (or pesto) over cheese, then top with peppers, remaining cheese, and bread.
- Heat a large grill pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches in pan (work in batches, if needed) weight with a heavy skillet.
- Cook over medium-low heat, pressing down firmly with skillet, until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Serve warm.