Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Cooking with Paula Deen May/June 2007
Make and share this President Truman's Meatless Tuesday recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2 baking dish.
- Boil 6 cups salted water, add macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until tender. Add flour, salt, dry mustard, and paprika; mix well. Add milk and stir for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Add 2 cups shredded cheese and stir until melted. stir in macaroni and pour into prepared dish. Cover macaroni with tomato slices and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 45-50 minutes.