Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lovely chocolate cake recipe as published in our local paper.
Make and share this President Roosevelt's Birthday Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup cold black coffee
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and dust an 8 x 8 cakepan with cocoa.
- Cream butter and add sugar a little at a time.
- Cream well; add eggs.
- Sift flour, salt, soda and cocoa together 3 times.
- Add coffee to batter alternatively with flour mixture.
- Then add vinegar and vanilla.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 30 to 40 minutes.
Excellent chocolate cake indeed......will be staying in my files. Thanks to contributor.
I used a deep round silicone cake pan and it worked beautifully. Excellent birthday cake!
I made this cake in a deep 9inch square baking dish. It took a while longer to bake up, and then the center never really did get completely baked. However, besides my screw up by using this baking dish, this cake is a great lil cake. Great flavor, nice and dense. I will use this recipe again and again for a standard chocolate cake. Thanks so much for posting!