Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got allot of these,I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction they are all hand written cards.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 ounces hominy
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- Brown hamburger meat in butter in a 6-quart saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and green pepper. Simmer 10 minutes covered.
- Add beef broth, chopped tomato and pepper. Simmer on low 35 minutes.
- Add hominy then boil for 10 more minutes more.
I have made this soup for years. My family has always requested it in winter and I have passed along to my daughter for her family.
THIS IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! This will be made again.
I made this last night.....the recipe has all my DH's favorite ingredients and I was sure this would be great, but it was lacking in flavor. I followed the directions exactly and simmered it all afternoon, but it just didn't have enough of "something". Maybe some seasonings were missing for our taste, but I don't know what they would be. This recipe makes a LOT of soup, and I have so much left over that I will try to use it somehow in another dish....I may add some tomato juice and more vegetables for a vegetable soup.