1/2 Photos of President Monroe's Waverly Jumbles - Authentic Recipe!
Um Safia's Note:
The Monroes often served Waverly Jumbles, the original 1800's recipe from the Monroe Family Recipes Cookbook follows, however I have posted the 'updated' version - which is the same recipe but with more specific directions. The original recipe says "One pound of flour, one-half pound of butter, three-fourths pound of brown sugar, two eggs, one-half teaspoon of nutmeg, two tablespoons of rose water. Roll out long and cut into strips, join into rings and bake." Time to make doesn't include the dough chilling time.
My Private Note
dozen J ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large bowl, cream the butter & the sugar until light in colour & smooth.
- 3Beat in the eggs, then add the rosewater.
- 4Gradually stir in the flour. Chill the dough for 1-2 hours.
- 5Pinch of a piece of dough at a time & roll into a 2" rope.
- 6Join the rope ends together to form a ring.
- 7Bake the Jumbles for 10-12 minutes in the centre of the oven.
- 8Cool on a wire rack then serve or store in an airtight container for upto a week.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for President Monroe's Waverly Jumbles - Authentic Recipe!
Serving Size: 1 (1268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1051.8
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 182.2 mg
- Sodium 325.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 162.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 85.1 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: