Recipe by Cookin In Texas
I got a lot of these, I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction recently, they are all on hand written index cards. NOTE: none of these have time or servings on them so I am guesstimating those.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, rounded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Cream shortening; beat in sugar gradually, mix in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Add cocoa and flour mixture alternating with milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold stiff egg whites into mixture.
- Pour into 2 greased layer cake pans.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Frost with favorite frosting.