1/1 Photo of President Eisenhower's Favorite Barbecued Chicken
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This HAS to be good!! This was Pres. Eisenhower's favorite BBQ chicken dish. It was published in our newspaper in 1958, and then again not so long ago. I have some chicken in the freezer just waiting for some BBQ sauce!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup water
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- 2Brown the chicken pieces, in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the skillet.
- 3When nicely browned on all sides, remove chicken, drain briefly and place in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- 4Add the chopped onion and celery to the oil remaining in the skillet.
- 5Cook until the vegetables soften, 5-8 minute.
- 6Add the vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard and 1 cup of water.
- 7Mix well and taste; adjust seasoning to your taste.
- 8Add red pepper flakes, to taste.
- 9Simmer the sauce for 30 min to blend the flavors together.
- 10While sauce is simmering, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- 11Pour the sauce over the browned chicken in the casserole dish.
- 12Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 1 hour, or until the juices run clear.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for President Eisenhower's Favorite Barbecued Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.1
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 648.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 26.1 g