Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This HAS to be good!! This was Pres. Eisenhower's favorite BBQ chicken dish. It was published in our newspaper in 1958, and then again not so long ago. I have some chicken in the freezer just waiting for some BBQ sauce!!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup water
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces, in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the skillet.
- When nicely browned on all sides, remove chicken, drain briefly and place in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add the chopped onion and celery to the oil remaining in the skillet.
- Cook until the vegetables soften, 5-8 minute.
- Add the vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, prepared mustard and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well and taste; adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Add red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 min to blend the flavors together.
- While sauce is simmering, preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Pour the sauce over the browned chicken in the casserole dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 1 hour, or until the juices run clear.
I love this barbecued chicken. I'd lost the recipe, and am so glad I found it. We make it in a skillet, with boneless chicken cut up bite sized, and serve it over rice. My brother calls it "orange chicken", because of the color. Thanks for posting!
The sauce is basically what my homemade BBQ sauce is made out of so I was sure we'd like the flavor. The chicken was very moist & tender as well. My family enjoyed it. So much that I nearly had nothing to photograph. Thanks for posting, Skinny! Made for Election Eats tag game.
This sounds so good skinny, I can't wait to try it!!! All the ingredients sound perfect and the slower cooking process. I will be making it this week for sure! Thank you much! Love, Becky