Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is a time honored tradition in Trinidad and Tobago. Most people there dry it in the sun. I have adjusted to dry in the oven.
- 15 star fruit (aka five finger or carambola)
- 25 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon bark (if you don't have the bark, use the powder)
- 5 cups brown sugar
- Remove either end of the fruit and slice into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water and add the sugar and spices.
- Bring to a boil and leave to cool for 3 hours. The fruit will soak up the sugar and spices.
- Preheat oven to 150F.
- Drain any liquid off and keep it for something else.
- Place fruit on baking sheets.
- Place in the oven with the door propped open to allow the steam to escape. Turn every hour or so until the fruit is done.
- Store in an airtight container.
- The cooking time is only an estimate, it will vary with how much you drained off, the humidity etc.