Recipe by Kathy228
These have a spiced, very orange flavor, and NOT overly sweet. Can be used as an accompaniment for roasted duck or chicken; a garnish for desserts; eaten with cheese. A slice on a toasted and buttered English muffin is delicious. Modified from a recipe from an Australian News website.
- 8 unpeeled oranges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 ounces honey
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon a cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 8 black peppercorns
- 8 cardamom pods
- 12 cloves
- 12 anise seed, stars
- 12 juniper berries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil WHOLE oranges in salted water until soft. This should take about 25 minutes depending on size of oranges.
- Drain the oranges and cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, slice oranges thickly, picking-out and discarding seeds. Set sliced oranges aside.
- Combine SYRUP ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Gently add orange slices to the syrup in the pan. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Carefully pack into jars, ladling syrup over to cover oranges.
- Adjust caps and water bath process 8 minutes.