Recipe by Enjolinfam
I found this delicious looking salad from Cooking Light May 2010 issue. The magazine states that, "Preserved citrus is a key to many Moroccan and Middle Eastern dishes. Traditional recipes take weeks. Our version is ready in a few hours." They suggest serving this salad with grilled tofu steaks.
Top Review by WiGal
Nice, and learned that I like bulgur-and easy too. Thought I would like this b/c I enjoy the ingredients-mostly. Never had tabbouleh before, but found this to be bitter so examined your recipe and now am convinced that it was because I used the WRONG kind of parsley. Honestly, the curly parsley is the only kind our grocery sells, so next time would omit it. Appreciate your technique for making the preserved lime-perfect. Served with recipe#428681 for our NA*ME lunch. Made for Unrulies Under the Influence during ZWT6 during Round 2.
- 236.59 ml bulgur, uncooked
- 354.88 ml hot water
- 236.59 ml English cucumber, chopped
- 177.44 ml plum tomato, chopped and seeded
- 177.44 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml shallot, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml kalamata olives, coarsely chopped pitted
- 396.89 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice
- 44.37 ml water
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.25 ml sugar
- 2 quarters quick preserved limes, finely chopped (ingredients for this below)
quck preserved lime
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.14 ml kosher salt
- 4 limes, quartered
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the quick Preserved Limes:.
- Combine all ingredients for the Quick Preserved Limes in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate. Discard peppercorns, cinnamon, and bay leaf before using. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 drained lime quarter).
- To make the Tabbouleh Salad:.
- Combine bulgur and 1 1/2 cups hot water in a medium bowl; let stand 1 hour. Drain. Combine bulgur, cucumber, and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas) in a large bowl.
- Combine oil and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Pour dressing over bulgur mixture; toss well to coat.