Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From the October 08 issue of Vegetarian Times. I have posted this to go with my recipe Tofu with Olives and Preserved Lemons, but of course use it however you want. If you do try it, please say what you used it in or how you ate it. This recipe is untried by me so far, but I'll update when I have made it.
- 5 organic lemons, washed and dried
- 2⁄3 cup salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 dried chili
Directions See How It's Made
- Stand each lemon on end and slice vertically into 4 wedges, but leave the base of the lemon uncut.
- Fill each lemon lemon with 1 Tbsp salt, and place in 1-qt jar with a lid.
- Cover lemons with 2 cups boiling water. Add remaining salt, lemon juice, cardamom pods, bay leaf, and chiles.
- Seal jar tightly, shake to mix, and store 3 days to 1 month before using.