1/2 Photos of Preserved Lemons
Many Moroccan and Middle Eastern recipes call for preserved lemons, lemons that have been pickled in salt and their own juices. It's quite easy to do, though takes at least three weeks before the lemons are ready to use. From Simply Recipes (http://www.elise.com/recipes/)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 2 Tbsp of salt in the bottom of a sterilized jar.
- 2One by one, prepare the lemons in the following way. Cut off any protruding stems from the lemons, and cut 1/4 inch off the tip of each lemon. Cut the lemons as if you were going to cut them in half lengthwize, starting from the tip, but do not cut all the way. Keep the lemon attached at the base. Make another cut in a similar manner, so now the lemon is quartered, but again, attached at the base.
- 3Pry the lemons open and generously sprinkle salt all over the insides and outsides of the lemons. (photo example: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001815how_to_make_preserved_lemons.php.
- 4Pack the lemons in the jar, squishing them down so that juice is extracted and the lemon juice rises to the top of the jar. Fill up the jar with lemons, make sure the top is covered with lemon juice. Add more fresh squeezed lemon juice if necessary. Top with a couple tablespoons of salt.
- 5Seal the jar and let sit at room temperature for a couple days. Turn the jar upside down ocassionally. Put in refrigerator and let sit, again turning upside down ocassionally, for at least 3 weeks, until lemon rinds soften.
- 6To use, remove a lemon from the jar and rinse thoroughly in water to remove salt. Discard seeds before using. Discard the pulp before using, if desired.
- 7Store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- 9You can add spices to the lemons for preserving - cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Lemons
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 21.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7076.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.3 g