This is an adaptation of Paula Wolfert's quick method, made even faster by blanching the lemons first. We love it in all kinds of salads and as a low-fat alternative to olives.
- Blanch 6 lemons in boiling water 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut lemons into 8 wedges each and discard seeds.
- Toss with salt in a bowl and pack into jar.
- Squeeze enough juice from remaining lemons to measure 1 cup.
- Add enough juice to cover lemons and cover jar with lid.
- Let stand at room temperature, shaking gently once a day, 5 days.
- Add oil and chill.
- Preserved lemons keep, chilled, up to 1 year.