6 hrs 20 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Kerry Saretsky at Serious Eats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small preserved lemon, finely diced
- 1/2 lemon, zest of
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1Place finely diced preserved lemon in a sieve and rinse very very well under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Place preserved lemon in a sauce pan with lemon zest, water and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear. Drain through a sieve, retaining both syrup and solids.
- 3Beat the cream until just stiff. Set aside.
- 4In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and just starting to mount. Drizzle in the syrup while running the mixer on medium-low. When the syrup is fully incorporated, turn speed up to high and beat until egg whites are glossy and doubled in volume, 5-6 minutes.
- 5Fold lemon solids carefully into egg whites, then fold in whipped cream. Line a loaf pan with 2 layers of plastic wrap, leaving some hanging over the edges, then gently spoon mousse into pan. Cover with overhanging plastic, and refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- 6Meanwhile, combine water, sugar and basil in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved and syrup is clear. Cool to room temperature, then process in a blender until basil is shredded into fine flecks.
- 7When ready to serve, invert loaf pan onto a plate. Remove pan and plastic. Cut semifreddo into 1" thick slices and drizzle with basil syrup to serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Lemon Semifreddo
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.1
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 35.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of