Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I am a hummus fiend and I like coming up for new versions. I had a jar of preserved lemons in my fridge and decided to give my latest hummus recipe an extra Middle Eastern feel. I originally made this recipe for my vegetarian food blog at weekendcarnivore.com .
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained but the liquid reserved
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 preserved lemons, including the pulp, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons reserved chickpea juice
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste, if required
- fresh parsley and lemon zest, to garnish
- Put the chickpeas, tahini, garlic and preserved lemons into a blender or food processor.
- Blitz in short bursts, pushing the mixture down when needed until everything is combined.
- Add the chickpea juice and mix for a few more seconds. If you want it less thick you can always add more of the juice.
- Taste a bit and decide if you need to add any salt. If you do add the salt and pepper. If not, just the pepper and mix for a couple seconds.
- Roughly chop parsley and zest a lemon.
- Serve topped with the parsley and lemon.