1/5 Photos of Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine for the Tagine!
3 hrs 20 mins
Um Safia's Note:
This tagine dish is to be cooked in a traditional tagine. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on size of tagine used and where it is being used. The preserved lemon adds a subtle flavour to the tagine but is not the predominent flavour...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 skinless chicken thighs (large) or 6 chicken breasts (chopped into large cubes)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 3 cups chickpeas (tinned not dried)
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, minced
- 5 ounces dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons good quality honey
- 1 pint boiling water
- 1 chicken stock cube, Maggi
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strand, crumbled
- 4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 small preserved lemon
- 1 tablespoon best quality olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped to serve
- 1Put the olive oil in the bottom of the tagine and gently colour the onion and minced garlic. Add the chicken pieces and seal well.
- 2In a large jug mix 1/2 pint of boiling water with 1 chicken cube and set aside.
- 3To the tagine add the ginger, ras el hanout, saffron, tomato puree and honey. Mix well.
- 4Add the chopped tomatoes, chick peas, stock and the apricots to the tagine and season well with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a wooden spoon and cover with tagine lid.
- 5Cook on a low heat for 2 hours. Remove the lid and add preserved lemon - rinse lemon well under cold tap. Remove and discard half of the flesh and finely slice the remaining flesh and peel. Add this to the tagine before replacing the lid and cook for a further 30 - 45 minutes or until the sauce is thick and well flavoured and chicken is ready to fall apart!
- 6(Add a little stock or water to the sauce if it seems a little dry or too thick. Cook a little longer of not thick enough or the chicken is not at falling point.).
- 7Finally serve in the tagine base dish with fresh coriander sprinkle dover the top. Serve with fresh baked bread or steamed cous cous.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine for the Tagine!
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.3 mg
- Sodium 624.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix