Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
A summery salad of saffron-flavored Israeli couscous, dried cranberries and preserved lemons.
- 2 cups israeli couscous
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, diced
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (optional)
- Heat olive oil and saffron in large saucepan. Add couscous and toast until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil, cover and continue cooking, stirring ocasionally until liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender. Remove from heat and put in a colander so any remaining liquid drains.
- Transfer couscous to a mixing bowl, and combine with remaining ingredients. Serve warm or cold.
Wonderful flavor! I increased the preserved lemon (b/c we LOVE lemon). Served warm without the walnuts, mint or spinach. The saffron was a nice touch.