Prep 0 mins
Cook 120 hrs
Make your own preserved ginger!
- Peel the ginger, and cut it into thin slices.
- Let these slices sit in a bowl of cold water for an hour.
- Drain the ginger. Cover again with cold water.
- Boil this for 5 minutes.
- Repeat for three times: drain the ginger; cover again with cold water; bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- This process weakens the fibers of the ginger.
- Finally, just drain the ginger.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil, and pour this over the drained ginger.
- Cover and let it infuse for 12 hours.
- Drain this, and keep the syrup. Boil the syrup for 10 minutes, and pour it over the ginger.
- Put a lid on this mix, and let it sit for 2 days.
- Boil everything together for 5 minutes, then let this sit for 3 days. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the ginger, and spread the pieces out over waxed paper, as though you plan to dry these slices.
- Sprinkle extra sugar over these pieces to coat them.
- Put in a jar and keep in a cool, dry place.