1/1 Photo of Preserved Fresh Lemons
720 hrs 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
I always have at least one jar of preserved lemons made & ready to use; I use them extensively, especially in Tagines and Maghreb, (North African) cuisine. They are also wonderful when diced very finely and added to a whole chicken, or lamb for roasting. Just a small amount can enhance all types of daube, stew, casserole or crock-pot cooking. These are very easy to make & add a splash of colour to your pantry. DO try use unwaxed and untreated lemons wherever possible.
My Private Note
2 Litre ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the lemons in water for 2 to 3 days, changing the water 2 - 3 times, once a day.
- 2Pat the lemons dry and quarter them from the top to just above the bottom, about 1/2" - leaving them in one piece.
- 3Open up the lemons slightly, and sprinkle the sea salt onto the cut flesh - reshape them afterwards, so they look whole again.
- 4Place half the remaining salt in the bottom of a large Sterilising jar; I use 1.5 litre Kilner jar for this amount.
- 5Pack the lemons in and add the bay leaf and spices amongst the lemons.
- 6Add the remaining salt & press down to release the lemon juice from the lemons.
- 7Pour over the lemon juice - it's difficult to say exactly how much, but the last time I made these, I used about 500mls of unsweetened lemon juice; and in the past, I have used between 6 & 8 fresh lemons, squeezed - depending on the juiciness & size of lemons!
- 8Seal and leave for at least one month; these will last up to 6-10 months in ideal conditions, dark & cool.
- 9When you come to use the lemons, make sure you rinse them thoroughly beforehand.
- 10IDEAS: Chop them up finely and add to baked fish dishes; put a whole lemon in to the cavity of a chicken to roast - take it out when cooked, and chop up finely and add to any gravy or sauce; Cut into quarters and add to tagines & stews; finely dice a lemon and add to sauces and stocks for stews & crockpot recipes -- the list is endless!
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Fresh Lemons
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.1
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48473.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.3 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: