Recipe by Mirj
This came about when I had more fresh basil in my garden than I knew what to do with it. I posted a question to the Cooking Q&A board and with the help of Jenny Sanders, this recipe came about.
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree two cups of fresh packed basil leaves in the food processor.
- Slowly add one half cup olive oil until the mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste.
- Pour the puree into plastic ice cube trays.
- It's best to have a special tray just for herbs, because the remaining flavor will then get into your ice cubes.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid.
- Store cubes, double-bagged, in the freezer and add to soups and sauces for an instant flavor boost.
- Herbal pastes and pestos are highly concentrated, so use sparingly.