Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came about when I had more fresh basil in my garden than I knew what to do with it. I posted a question to the Cooking Q&A board and with the help of Jenny Sanders, this recipe came about.
- Puree two cups of fresh packed basil leaves in the food processor.
- Slowly add one half cup olive oil until the mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste.
- Pour the puree into plastic ice cube trays.
- It's best to have a special tray just for herbs, because the remaining flavor will then get into your ice cubes.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid.
- Store cubes, double-bagged, in the freezer and add to soups and sauces for an instant flavor boost.
- Herbal pastes and pestos are highly concentrated, so use sparingly.
Brilliant idea!!! Can do the same with Parsely,coridaner or cilantro.
Mirjam this is excellent -I didn't grow any basil this year and it galls me to throw out remains unused when I buy it - I will do this with cilantro too. I made it in the ice cube trays but onlu did 1/2 full so I had smaller amounts. I made scrambled eggs used a lump of basil, your sundried tomatoes and a bit of Feta cheese - This was a breakfast in heaven Thanks Mirj for yet another great recipe
I think your brilliant! I have a garden full of Basil and now I know how to preserve that fresh summer flavor in the cold winter months! Thanks :)