This came about when I had more fresh basil in my garden than I knew what to do with it. I posted a question to the Cooking Q&A board and with the help of Jenny Sanders, this recipe came about.
My Private Note
- 1Puree two cups of fresh packed basil leaves in the food processor.
- 2Slowly add one half cup olive oil until the mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste.
- 3Pour the puree into plastic ice cube trays.
- 4It's best to have a special tray just for herbs, because the remaining flavor will then get into your ice cubes.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid.
- 6Store cubes, double-bagged, in the freezer and add to soups and sauces for an instant flavor boost.
- 7Herbal pastes and pestos are highly concentrated, so use sparingly.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Preserved Basil
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.2 g