Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Just got my hands on the Williams Sonoma Art of Preserving cookbook and thought this recipe was a great idea for future quick & easy apple pies! Makes (7) one-quart jars. Each jar is enough to make one 9" pie.
- 19 lbs apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled lemon juice
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups clearjel starch
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 cups apple juice
- Set a large pot of water to boil.
- Pour 1/2 cup lemon juice into a large bowl.
- Peel, core, and slice apples – dropping the slices into the bowl of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- When done preparing the apples, add the slices to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat, drain the pot, and return the slices to the pot to keep them warm.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, starch, cinnamon, and apple juice.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining cup of lemon juice and fold in the apple slices. Stir until warm.
- Ladle the mixture into clean jars leaving 1” headspace.
- Remove any air bubbles and wipe rims clean.
- Process the jars in a canning bath for 25 minutes.