Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
fantastic, low fat, juicy and flavorful. These are at their best served on a roll with marinara and mozerella, but are also great a la carte. the fennel seeds may seem like a lot, it's great, trust me. Just chuck them in whole.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fennel seed (seriously)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine all prepared ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Form mix into 2" diameter balls and place on sheet. Should make 18-20.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops brown slightly and the balls are firm to the touch. Let cool for a few minutes.
This is a lesson for me to fully read a recipe before starting prep. I had already mixed several ingredients when I realized that this recipes called for [b]1/4 cup[/b] of fennel seeds. I couldn't imagine how overwhelming that flavor would be. So...I crushed about a teaspoon or more of fennel seeds using my mortar and pestle and added about 1/4-1/2 cup of dried bread crumbs (the recipe didn't call for any) to the mix. The resulting meatballs were excellent, even after my moment of recipe terror. After baking, I dropped them into marinara sauce to simmer while the pasta finished cooking. My husband had seconds. I will make these meatballs again, with my revisions to the recipe.