Recipe by Bill Woodward
A very good, simple vegetarian black bean soup. Originally came from back of a box of Premium Saltines (hence the name). The recipe originally called for chicken broth, but I use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.
Top Review by Heart 'N Soul
I'm so glad I tried this... I'm not a salsa lover but was looking for an easy soup and I do love black beans. The first day it seemed just OK but the next day it had become outstanding! I'd make sure to give it a day or two for the flavors to blend.... It was so easy to make even my husband could do it! Thanks Bill
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (24 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart saucepan, cook onion and cumin over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Add 2 cans black beans and vegetable broth to the pot. Puree with a stick blender.
- Stir in remaining black beans, salsa, and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.