Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Excellent! Serve with a hearty bread and you have a wonderful and healthy meal. Very quick if you use a food processor or chopper for dicing the vegetables.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, sliced (optional)
- Place rinsed lentils in a Dutch oven.
- Add all ingredients, except lemon.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, ladle into bowls and serve garnished with lemon slices.
It's a great filling lentil soup. It was done in only 30 minutes. And it was very thick. Next time I'll use more chicken broth. Thanks 4Susan :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game