Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is submitted for play in ZWT8 – Spain/Portugal. It is a recipe by Ana Patuleia Ortins It is thought that this recipe, introduced by the Portuguese was transplanted to the former Portuguese colony by holiday travelers to the mainland who brought the recipe home to South Africa.
- 1⁄2 lb sirloin steak, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices, all fat trimmed off
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Place the steaks on your workspace, lay the slices of garlic on the side of the steaks, using a tenderizing mallet, "nail" the garlic to the steak by pounding the slices into the meat. Repeat on the reverse side of the steaks.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry each steak in the butter for two to three minutes, turning once, then transfer to a dish and cover.
- Melt the remaining tbsp of butter in the same skillet, add the onions and saute until they are golden. Transfer the onions to the dish holding the steaks.
- Pour the wine into the same skillet and using the flat edge of a wooden spoon, scrap up the caramelized coating on the bottom of the pan.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and reduce the sauce by half.
- Return the onions and beef to the sauce and heat through for 1 minute.
- Serve on a plate with rice and vegetables.
*steak* *steak* *steak* I think there's an echo in here. Made me weak in the knees! AU/NZ recipe swap.
After reading the other reviews I decided to grill the steak. I did as breezermom suggested with the garlic and made the sauce in a skillet on the stove. The wine with the onions made this an outstanding meal. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 8-Spain/Portugal.
Delicious steak!!! I love sauteed onions with my steaks, so I knew I would enjoy this recipe. After reading breezer's review, I chose an easy way for adding the garlic. I used the jarred minced garlic and used my meat mallet to get it into the meat. I also really liked the added flavor of the wine in the onions. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 8.