Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
I don't know where my mother got this recipe from but it is a wonderful rich moist chocolate cake. Frost with Whipped Cream Frosting and it tastes just like Hostess Cup Cakes but oh so much better. Mom would make 2 layers - fill and frost sides with the Whipped Cream Frosting, then use regular chocolate frosting for the top. Milk anyone?
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup soured milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together sugars and shortening till light and fluffy.
- Add 2 beaten eggs mixing well.
- In separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cocoa.
- Add to creamed mixture in thirds, alternating with soured milk.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Fold in boiling water and vanilla.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated 350º oven 18-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Yes, this is a wonderful cake. One that I make alot of times and it is well enjoyed. This is a keeper!