Recipe by Kerr(ie)bear
This is a Czech goulash made with a pilsner. Very aromatic and rich. Can be served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes, and a nice bread.
Top Review by ctqueenb
We host exchange students from the Czech Republic. This recipe is the one meal which is requested again and again. It is always a favorite with our boys and this gulas tastes just like the version I had in Prague. Fantastic!
- 2 lbs cubed beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups pilsner beer
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
Directions See How It's Made
- In stew sized pot, heat oil and cook onions until golden brown, add caraway seeds just before onions are done.
- Add cubed beef, and slightly brown.
- Stir in tomato paste, paprika, black pepper, and pilsner beer.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add flour to thicken.
- Stir in salt, garlic& marjoram.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes.