Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Indian spices flavour the dhal to which coconut milk is added makes this a super additional dish to serve with your curry. Very easy to prepare, the dhal can be split peas, lentils or even moong dhal. NB. you could follow the reciipe and use chicken in place of the prawns.
- 1 lb prawns, cooked. peeled and deviened
- 2 cups , dhal
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 curry leaves
- 4 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place dhal in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer till the dhal is soft but not mushy. Strain the dhal and set aside
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, when they have stopped spluttering add the cumin seeds and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the onions and garlic, cook till just coloured.
- Add the spices, cook for 2 minutes and add the coconut milk, stir well to blend the spices together.
- Now add the dhal stir to incorporate into the liquid, cook for 2 mins add the prawns, as soon as the prawns are heated through SERVE.