Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chayote is similar to squash and can be found in many supermarkets now. This dish is spicy and wonderful over rice. Fresh turmeric can be found in Asian markets. This recipe is from Indonesia and the shrimp turns a beautiful color.
- 1 -2 chayote
- 2 red chilies, seeded
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 lemongrass, stem sliced
- 1 inch fresh turmeric, peeled
- 1 cup water
- lemon juice
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 lb prawns, cooked and peeled
- Peel the chayotes, remove the seeds and cut into strips.
- Grind the fresh red chillies, onion, ginger, sliced lemon grass and fresh turmeric to a paste in food processor. Add water to the paste mixture, with a squeeze of lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Pour into a pan. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add chayote and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk.
- Stir in prawns and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Serve over rice.