Recipe by Fairy Nuff
Delicious Thai recipe - if banana leaves aren't available then you could use baking paper or aluminium foil.
- 1 inch grated fresh green ginger (2.5cm)
- 2 small finely chopped red chilies (remove the seeds if you don't want too much heat)
- 2 -4 finely chopped spring onions
- 2 stalks finely chopped lemongrass, white part only
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 2 lbs fresh peeled and deveined green shrimp
- 8 small banana leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chillies, ginger, spring onion and lemon grass in a food processor and process until the mixture forms a paste (or grind in a mortar and pestle).
- Put the mixture in a bowl and stir in the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, sesame seeds and coriander.
- Mix well.
- Add the prawns and toss to coat them.
- Cover and refridgerate for about 2 hours.
- Soak the banana leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes to soften them.
- Drain and then pat them dry.
- Cut the banana leaves (or baking paper or foil) into 18cm/7" squares.
- Divide the prawn mixture into eight.
- Place each portion onto a banana leaf.
- Fold the leaf up to enclose the mixture and then secure with a bamboo skewer.
- Cook the parcels in a steamer over simmering water for 8-10 minutes.