Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The green spice paste (hara masala) is used in Indian cooking for various recipes. You can make it and store it in the freezer for a few days. Everyone has a different recipe for it but the base is the coriander.
- 180 g raw prawns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bunch coriander leaves or 100 -125 g coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 3 -4 green chilies, roughly chopped
- Clean and devein the prawns. Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric and salt to the prawns and leave aside.
- In a blender, add the the coriander leaves, coconut, ginger paste, garlic paste and green chillies. Add 1/4 cup water to help it blend. Blend to form a paste.
- On medium flame heat 1 tbsp oil . Add the fennel seeds and cumin seeds and let them sputter. Add the onions. Add a pinch of salt and cook till the onions are translucent.
- Add the green paste, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water ( more as required), add lemon juice and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns. Add salt as per taste (remember we had added salt earlier) Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the prawns are cooked.
- Serve with paratha or rice!
This was pretty good and easy to make. I thought the leftovers tasted WAY better the next day, because I guess the cooked shrimp had time to marinate. I love spicy food, but all those chili peppers gave the masala a bitter flavor. I'd cut back on them next time.