Recipe by twissis
When I turned the pg of *Cool Cuisine* (Traditional Icelandic Cuisine) by Nanna Rognvaldardottir & read this recipe, it made me so hungry that I went straight to my kitchen for some food! Per her intro, "This is a luxurious dish! Altho langostines, prawns & other crustaceans now enjoy great popularity in Iceland, this has not always been the case. They were not commonly eaten a few decades ago, but Icelanders discovered these delicacies in a big way in the 1970s & have been making up for their earlier neglect ever since." This recipe has me thinking I should join their mission for our next spec occasion! (Time does not include the 30 min refrigeration time) *Enjoy* !
Top Review by MissMaggie
Hey Twissis - this was just great and sooo easy to put together. The only thing I changed was I halved the recipe as there are only two of us and instead of toast, I heated up vol-au-vent cases and served the mixture in the cases. I thought I would have some left over but we made pigs of ourselves. Didn't have brandy so I used Cognac. It still worked! How do you think some grated lemon rind and fresh parsley would go with it? I may try it next time. Made for ZWT6
- 30 prawns (lrg size in their shells)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper (seeded & chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded & chopped)
- 5 ounces button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 2 cups cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Split prawns lengthwise w/a sharp knife, without completely separating the halves.
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter w/the crushed garlic, salt + pepper & brush the prawns w/it. Chill for 30 min under refrigeration.
- Seed & chop the bell peppers & slice the mushrooms. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in a lrg non-stick frying pan, saute peppers & mushrooms for a few minutes & remove to a dish.
- Place prawns in the frying pan (cut side down) & fry for 2-3 min (in batches if necessary). Drizzle the brandy over them & ignite it.
- When the flame dies down, add the cream + veggies & simmer for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To Serve: Serve 5 prawns per person w/an equal amt of veggies & sauce over toast points lightly brushed w/garlic-infused olive oil or garlic butter.