1/1 Photo of Prawns in a Dark Sauce
This is a great tomato-based Indian dish from one of Madhur Jaffrey's books. Serve with rice and steamed vegetables or fried potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons water, plus
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 ounces tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces prawns, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1Blend the onions, garlic, ginger and 3 tablespoons water in an electric blender until you have a paste.
- 2Put the oil in a wide pan and set over medium high heat.
- 3When hot, put in the cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves.
- 4Stir for 3-4 seconds.
- 5Put in the paste from the blender.
- 6Stir and fry for about 5 minutes or until the paste turns a light brown color.
- 7Add the ground cumin and ground coriander.
- 8Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- 9Put in the tomatoes.
- 10Stir and keep frying until the paste has a nice reddish brown look to it.
- 11Add 1 tablespoon of the yogurt.
- 12Stir and fry for about 10- 15 secons or until it is incorporated into the sauce.
- 13Add all the yogurt this way.
- 14Add the turmeric and cayenne and stir for about a minute.
- 15Put in remaining water, salt, and prawns.
- 16Stir to mix and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- 17Stir and cook for about five minutes until you have a thick sauce- do not overcook.
- 18Sprinkle with garam masala and mix.
- 19Garnish with fresh coriander.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prawns in a Dark Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.2
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.5 mg
- Sodium 788.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: