Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Madhur Jaffrey's Simple Indian Cookery. My husband made it and it is so elegant and delicious. She called for a 1/2 tsp cayenne in the sauce, but we reduced and you can reduce further if you're sensitive to heat. Serve with basmati rice, naan and green peas.
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 7⁄8 cup single cream
- 4 tablespoons water
For the Prawns
- 2 tablespoons olives or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 0.06 lb unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, whisk until smooth. Cover and chill until needed.
- Melt butter and oil in large frying pan over high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds and let sizzle for 10 seconds.
- Put in shallots and garlic, stirring until very lightly browned.
- Add the prawns, turmeric, coriander, cayenne and salt.
- Stir and fry until the prawns have just turned opaque.
- Pour in the sauce and heat it through, stirring as you go.
- Serve immediately.