Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Madhur Jaffrey's Simple Indian Cookery. My husband made it and it is so elegant and delicious. She called for a 1/2 tsp cayenne in the sauce, but we reduced and you can reduce further if you're sensitive to heat. Serve with basmati rice, naan and green peas.
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 7⁄8 cup single cream
- 4 tablespoons water
For the Prawns
- 2 tablespoons olives or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 0.06 lb unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium raw prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, whisk until smooth. Cover and chill until needed.
- Melt butter and oil in large frying pan over high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds and let sizzle for 10 seconds.
- Put in shallots and garlic, stirring until very lightly browned.
- Add the prawns, turmeric, coriander, cayenne and salt.
- Stir and fry until the prawns have just turned opaque.
- Pour in the sauce and heat it through, stirring as you go.
- Serve immediately.