Recipe by Sackville
This is a sweet-and-sour type dish that's good enough to make you think you're in Fiji, even if there's a blizzard outside!
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
This was a wonderful stir-fry SG. The sauce is one of the best I have tasted. I had to use canned pineapple because the fresh isn't in season here yet, but you can bet that I will try it again with the fresh. I love shrimp so much, I could eat it every day. This recipe had lovely tropical flavors with a wonderful sweet and tangy sauce. It was delicious served over the basmati rice. A great treat for us. Thanks.
- 200 g basmati rice
- 400 ml water
- 200 g large raw tiger shrimp
- 30 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 slice fresh peeled pineapple, diced (optional)
- 150 ml orange juice
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1⁄2 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 40 g sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice with water until it runs clear.
- Place it in a saucepan with a good fitting lid and 400ml of water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down very low, cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes to cook in the steam.
- Meanwhile, defrost the prawns if necessary and remove the shells.
- You can freeze the shells to make fish stock with later.
- Place the orange juice, wine, honey, wine vinegar, soy sauce and slightly less than half the ginger in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Heat the butter and oil in a wok over a high heat.
- You can also use a large frying pan.
- When the butter is bubbling, stir in the prawns, remaining ginger, garlic and flaked almonds.
- Stirr constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the prawns are pink and the almonds golden.
- Be careful not to overcook.
- Set the prawns and almonds aside in a dish.
- Add the orange juice mixture to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 8-10 minutes until thick and a dark caramel colour.
- It should also be reduced to a third of the original.
- Add the pineapple, heat through and then return the prawns and almonds to the pan.
- Stir constantly for about 30 seconds and then serve over the rice.