This is a sweet-and-sour type dish that's good enough to make you think you're in Fiji, even if there's a blizzard outside!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g basmati rice
- 400 ml water
- 200 g large raw tiger shrimp
- 30 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 slice fresh peeled pineapple, diced (optional)
- 150 ml orange juice
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1/2 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 40 g sliced almonds
- 1Wash the rice with water until it runs clear.
- 2Place it in a saucepan with a good fitting lid and 400ml of water.
- 3Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down very low, cover and cook about 10 minutes.
- 4Turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes to cook in the steam.
- 5Meanwhile, defrost the prawns if necessary and remove the shells.
- 6You can freeze the shells to make fish stock with later.
- 7Place the orange juice, wine, honey, wine vinegar, soy sauce and slightly less than half the ginger in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- 8Heat the butter and oil in a wok over a high heat.
- 9You can also use a large frying pan.
- 10When the butter is bubbling, stir in the prawns, remaining ginger, garlic and flaked almonds.
- 11Stirr constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the prawns are pink and the almonds golden.
- 12Be careful not to overcook.
- 13Set the prawns and almonds aside in a dish.
- 14Add the orange juice mixture to the pan and bring to a boil.
- 15Boil for 8-10 minutes until thick and a dark caramel colour.
- 16It should also be reduced to a third of the original.
- 17Add the pineapple, heat through and then return the prawns and almonds to the pan.
- 18Stir constantly for about 30 seconds and then serve over the rice.
Nutritional Facts for Prawns Fiji
Serving Size: 1 (719 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 915.3
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 178.7 mg
- Sodium 573.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 34.1 g