Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Made this for the first time last night, and the bowl was licked clean within minutes! Best prawn risotto I've made at home to date. Have some spare stock and wine handy because the amount absorbed by the rice varies depending on lots of things - altitude, heat of cooking, type of rice etc.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and heat until golden.
- Meanwhile, shell all the prawns but one per person, discarding the shells but retaining the heads.
- Add the rice to the onion and stir until well covered with oil.
- Reduce the heat and add saffron and white wine to the rice, stirring until the wine is mostly absorbed.
- Add the prawn heads to the mix and ladle in the fish stock, about 100ml at a time, waiting until it is absorbed by the rice before adding another ladle.
- When the rice is almost done (it should be a soft, creamy consistency), add the fish meat, two whole prawns and basil.
- Turn the heat to high and cook, stirring, until the prawns are *just* done - don't overcook or they will turn rubbery.
- Season with salt and pepper - remove the heads if you wish.
- Just before serving, add the butter and stir in well.
- Serve garnished with a whole prawn.