Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this in Delicious Magazine. I'd like to make it over Christmas. Aus tablespoon is 4 teaspoons. Serves 6 as an appetiser.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 small red fresh chili pepper, finely minced
- 425 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ripe avocados
- 24 large cooked prawns, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 6 lettuce leaves, butter lettuce suggested
- light sour cream
- tomato jam, and
- lime wedge, to serve
- Tomato Jam:.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat then add the ginger and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the vinegar, brown sugar and chilli and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar dissolves.
- Stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook on low at a simmer for 30-35 minutes until thick. Stir in the honey and cool to room temperature (Makes 1 cup).
- In a large bowl, mix together the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Peel and cube the avocados, then add to the dressing along with the prawns and coriander. Toss gently to combine.
- Fill the lettuce leaves with the mixture, then top with sour cream and tomato jam. Serve with lime wedges.
I love this recipe, didn't change a thing. I make the tomato jam on it's own too because it's so tasty.