Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is one of the easiest way to prepare sambal prawn in Singapore. Try it! Remember not to overcooked the prawns.
- 100 g small shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 6 shallots
- 1 clove garlic, pounded with shallots (use a mortar, can also use blender)
- 1 teaspoon sambal chili paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 100 ml coconut milk (from 50g grated coconut)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1⁄4 cup water, mixed with tamarind
- 1 teaspoon msg or 1 teaspoon sugar
- Mix the pounded ingredients with the chilli paste and salt.
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Fry pounded ingredients until fragrant.
- Add prawns.
- Stir for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, tamarind juice and MSG.
- Bring to boil.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.
This recipe is fast, easy to make and tastes great. I omitted the oil (not necessary with coconut milk) and shallots. Also, I added a chopped tomato and some green onions. Finally I adjusted the sugar and salt levels to my taste. My family loved it. Thanks!