Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fantastic summer evening salad. I used medium chilli sauce, which was just right for us. One of the best salads we've had recently!! from Mexican,healthy ways with a favourite cusine.
- 1 lb cooked peeled prawns
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 avocado, ripe but firm
- 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream (i used fat free sour cream)
- 2 heads little gem lettuce, separated into leaves (i used baby greens)
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf, to garnish
- green bell pepper, cut into strips to garnish
- Put the prawns in a large bowl,add the lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Toss lightly, then leave to marinate.
- Cut a cross in the base of each tomato.
- Place them in a heat proof bowl and pour over boiling water to cover.
- After 3 minutes, lift the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and plunge them into a bowl of cold water.
- Drain, the skins will have begun to peel back easilly from the crosses.
- Skin the tomatoes completely, then cut them in half and squeeze out the seeds.
- Chop the flesh into 1/2 inch cubes and add to the prawns.
- Cut the avacado in half, remove the skin and seed, then slice the flesh into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Add it to the prawn and tomato mixture.
- Mix the hot chilli sauce, sugar and sour cream in a bowl.
- Fold into the prawn mixture.
- Line a bowl with the lettuce leaves, then top with the prawn mixture.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, then garnish with fresh basil and strips of green pepper.
- Crusty bread makes a perfect accompaniment.
Wow - this is absolutely fabulous. We love cold shrimp and this is one of the best recipes I've ever made with them. Incredibly tasty - no one predominant flavor - just a perfect meld of slightly tangy and cool. I followed the recipe exactly on this one.
Very tasty and so simple to prepare. I think it is perfect for a light lunch. I used yogurt instead of sour cream and it worked out great.. Thanks for posting Derf!