Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is Hoorbanu Iqbal's recipe from the Thursday magazine. She is a wonderful cook with a very sweet smile that'll win your heart anytime and the magic in her fingers shows in her recipes and wonderful food!
- 300 g shelled and de-veined prawns
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, soaked in water for 2 hours
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 onions, washed,peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, deep fried and quartered
- 3⁄4 cup coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 4 -5 green chilies, washed and chopped
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 small onion, peeled,washed and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under'masala' to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Saute onion in it until golden brown.
- Add tomato, stir-fry and cook till soft.
- Add the ground masala paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Then add the turmeric and coconut milk powders and mix well.
- Next, add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add salt to taste and 3 cups of water.
- Stir once, and then bring to a boil.
- Strain the rice and add it to the pot.
- Cook the rice, stirring occasionally.
- Add the deep fried potato quarters.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook on simmer for 10 minutes until all the water has been absorbed by the rice.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Serve with vegetables, raita and papads for a complete meal!