Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Do you have your boss, MIL or really good friends coming for dinner and you want to impress them? This side dish will certainly fit the bill! I usually coral my friends into making the dish (with me peeking over the shoulder), as it needs constant attention. So while I am doing the finishing touches to the dinner, friends are (literally) stirring the pot. We have had some lively conversations doing this recipe, with one time, my friend kept "splashing" her wine into the pot. Every time though, it has turned out perfectly. This will serve 4 as a main dish (Weight Watcher 10 points) or 6 - 8 people as a side dish (6 points Weight Watcher)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 180 g prawns, peeled, deveined, diced (6 - 7 oz)
- 75 g goat cheese (2 - 3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- In another large saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. (Can be made ahead up to this point).
- Stir in rice, coating the rice with the garlic-onion mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup simmering broth to the rice mixture. Cook, stirring until liquid is all absorbed. Continue adding liquid until all has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a slow bubbling simmer. Taste the risotto before adding the prawns. It should taste creamy, and the rice "al dente".
- Just before serving main meal, add prawns and goat cheese. Cook for 2 minutes longer or until prawns are cooked through and the cheese has melted. Add the parmasan cheese and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Add the basil.
- Options: In some recipes, white wine is added to the broth mixture. Decrease the chicken broth a bit to accommodate the wine, using only about 1/2 cup.
Made this over the weekend w/wine, jasmine rice, bullion cube-based broth, Thai basil & med.shrimp vs prawns. Was to die for!
A big hit with both me and my other half...would never have thought about combining prawns and goats cheese!