Recipe by JustJanS
An old favourite for the ingredient of the month collection. Prep time doesn't include refrigeration.
- 1 kg green king prawns
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups packaged dry breadcrumbs
- oil, for deep-frying
- 2 (170 g) cans crab
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 30 g butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Creamy Tartare Mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 gherkins
- 8 shallots or 8 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell prawns, leaving tail intact; remove back vein.
- Wash prawns; drain; dry well.
- Using sharp, pointed knife, cut deep slit down back of each prawn, taking care not to cut through flesh completely.
- Put approx.
- 1 tablespoon of filling into each slit and reshape prawn.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll prawns in flour; shake off excess flour.
- Dip in combined beaten eggs and milk; roll in bread-crumbs.
- Dip in egg mixture again; roll in bread-crumbs again.
- (Prawns can be returned to refrigerator at this stage until required.) Deep-fry prawns in hot oil a few at a time for 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp; drain.
- Serve prawns with Creamy Tartare Sauce and lemon wedges.
- Filling: Melt butter in saucepan; add celery, pepper and crushed garlic; saute 2 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour; stir until smooth; cook I minute.
- Remove from heat; add milk; stir until smooth.
- Return to heat; stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute; remove from heat, Add drained, flaked crab, breadcrumbs, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and salt; mix well.
- Tartare Mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise, finely-chopped gherkin~ finely-chopped shallots, parsley, lemon juice, salt pepper and dry mustard.
- Whip cream; fold into mayonnaise mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serves 6 as an appetiser.