Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from a magazine dated September 1977 with a bit of adaption from us. If you don't want to peel prawns about 500 grams cooked prawn flesh will do (DO NOT use shrimp or small cocktail prawns). Have not included chill time. Can take about 45 minutes to peel prawns (that's what I've allowed in preparation time). Originally suggested that you accompany the prawns with rice, pappadoms, sliced pineapple and cucumber, coconut and chutney. We usually have rice and steam vegetables. SUGGESTION if your curry should turn out with a gritty taste then put about 1/2 to teaspoon sugar with your curry powder and cut it through or use a mortar and pestel (blenders/food processors are too big for such a small amount).
- Shell and devein prawns.
- Place prawns in a bowl and pour cream over, cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Chop onion.
- Crush garlic and add salt.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan and saute onion and garlic over a low heat until onion is soft but not coloured.
- Add curry power, still over low heat and cook for about 3 minutes to release aroma.
- Sprinkle plain flour and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add chicken stock, whisking until smooth.
- Return to a higher heat and cook until it boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat and add prawns with the cream, stirring to mix well together and until prawns are heated through.
Outstanding! Hubby wants this recipe again and really soon. I used pre-peeled large raw prawns and cooked them a little longer then suggested. Once the prawn was marinated I had dinner ready on the table within 15 minutes. Served it with crusty bread and salad. Thank you I'mPat for a wonderful recipe.
A simple but so good curry, smooth and creamy and rich in flavour. I used a Roast garam masala for the curry powder, I liked the idea of 'marinating' the prawns in cream (anything with cream sounds good to me!). This was easily prepared and very much enjoyed, served over rice. Thanks for a lovely supper dish when we feel like something decadent but uncomplicated, Pat!
easy and very tasty, Idid a few amount adjustments, I used medium shrimp for this and increased the garlic way up, also I used more than 2 tablespoon curry powder and reduced the cream to half, served with rice we enjoyed this dish tonight, thanks for sharing Pat!