Recipe by Lee Faber
This recipe, which originally came from "Great Good Food" by Julee Russo, is a lovely, sophisticated starter for a dinner party. I particularly like this recipe because it looks like it is very difficult to prepare, while it really is quite simple.
- 1 lb raw headless prawns, peeled and deveined (large shrimp)
- 1 lb raw sea scallops
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon potato flour
- 8 tablespoons fresh herbs (dill, chives, tarragon, chervil)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- salad greens, to serve
- 240 ml nonfat yogurt or 240 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 lb fat-free cottage cheese or 1⁄2 lb low fat cottage cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Low Fat Blend: Place the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- The mixture can also be blended by hand.
- A food processor will not give the right consistency.
- Use as a replacement for soured cream, mayonnaise or double cream in savoury or sweet recipes.
- Make sure that all of the ingredients and the bowl are well chilled before starting and plan on working quickly.
- Place the prawns and scallops in a food processor and pureé.
- Add the egg yolk and pulse until well blended.
- Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl and set in a larger bowl filled with ice.
- Gently fold in the Low-Fat Blend, potato flour and herbs a little at a time until blended and smooth.
- Add the cayenne pepper, paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled; about 1 hour.
- Remove the refrigerator and place the bowl on a flat work surface.
- Tear off an 8-inch piece of cling film, place 2 tablespoonsful of the mixture in a strip down the centre, roll up over the mixture to make a 2-inch (5 cm) sausage and twist the ends.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Put on a plate and return to the refrigerator until needed.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan or wok fitted with a steamer, bring 1 inch (2. 5cm) of water to the boil.
- Keep the sausages chilled until you steam them; you will have to do this in batches.
- Place several sausages in the steamer and steam for about 8 minutes, until firm and cooked through.
- When all the sausages are steamed, cut open the cling film and remove.
- Drain the sausages and keep warm until serving with a salad garnish.