Recipe by Latchy
This is another great simple Malay recipe. Only one dish to clean up so good after a long day.
Top Review by chia
this dish was very simple but didn't have the kick that i expect from a curry. i didn't have curry leaves which might be the problem but i did use 2 tsp of curry powder. i wound up adding hot sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce just trying to get some heat and a bit more flavor. sorry, but this didn't work for me
- 600 g uncooked prawns, preferably a medium size
- 8 shallots, halved
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (not Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 50 g ghee, you can use oil, about
- 300 g onions, sliced
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 250 ml water
- 480 g finger eggplants, chopped
- 4 dried curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell and devein prawns, you can leave the tails intact if you like.
- Blend or process the shallots, chili, turmeric and sugar until the shallots are finely chopped.
- Heat ghee in a wok and add the onions and cook stirring until soft.
- Add the shallot mixture and cook stirring until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and water and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplants and curry leaves to the coconut mixture and cook uncovered about 15 minutes or until the eggplants are tender.
- Stir in the prawns and cook until prawns are tender 5-10 minutes.
- Discard the curry leaves before serving.