1 hr 30 mins
From Sainsbury's magazine. "Although I prefer homemade pastry, this is a quick option using a packet of ready - rolled pastry for when time is short. The prawns and courgettes make a delicious combination but if you want to make this even simpler, replace the prawns with smoked salmon trimmings. This can also be made in a 23cm (9in) round loose-bottomed tin, 4cm (1 1/2in) deep." You will also need a 19 x 27 cm (7 1/2 x 11in) loose-bottomed rectangular tin, 2.5cm (1in)deep, lightly oiled, a large baking sheet, some baking parchment and baking beans (or rice)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (375 g) package ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 medium courgettes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 large raw peeled king prawns
- 1 (50 g) package rocket, a few leaves reserved to garnish, the rest chopped
- cayenne pepper
For the filling
- 1Preheat your oven to 220C, fan 200C, gas 7. Unroll the pastry and use to line the tin, trimming the edges if necessary.
- 2Rest in the fridge for 40 minutes before pricking the base with a fork, lining with baking parchment and baking beans (or rice) and baking on the baking sheet on the middle shelf of the oven for 18 mins or until golden around the edges.
- 3While the pastry is cooking, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks with the double cream, season with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 4Take the pastry case out of the oven, remove the parchment and baking beans (or rice) and brush with a little of the egg mixture. Bake for 5-7 mins or until golden all over. Remove from the oven.
- 5Next, top and tail the courgettes and thinly slice each one at an angle. Heat a large frying pan with the vegetable oil and fry the courgettes over a medium-to-high heat for 3 mins, until they just begin to brown. Add the chopped garlic and fry for 30 seconds, enough to soften, rather than brown it. Season with a little salt and cayenne pepper then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- 6To prepare the prawns, slice all the way through them, from top to bottom with a very sharp knife, and remove any black veins. Set aside.
- 7Spread the chopped rocket over the pastry base and arrange the courgette slices and prawns on top. Pour over half the egg mixture, ensuring it runs evenly underneath the prawns and courgettes.
- 8Place the quiche on the middle shelf of the oven. Pour over the remaining egg mixture, turn the oven down to 180C, fan 170C, gas 4 and bake for 30 minutes
- 9Turn off the heat and leave in the oven for a further 10 minutes Then remove the tart from the tin and slide off the base onto a cooling rack. Serve warm from the oven or cold, but not chilled, with the reserved rocket leaves on top.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Prawn and Courgette Quiche With Rocket
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.3
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 227.8 mg
- Sodium 375.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 11.4 g